View Full Version : Roll Cages

12-06-2003, 04:54 PM
How do you get the effect like it has a rollcage in it?

12-06-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm guessing your talkin about inside a car :rolleyes: , through windows this is how I do it...

First, use the polygon tool and 'build' the cage. You can do the whole thing depending on the angle of the car, or you may have to do certain sections at a time. Then after I outline what I think will look right I just select the clone tool and fill in the cage with areas that have the same shading as the cage would have. Here's an example of a cage I did, might help to better explain.
I outlined the whole cage at once on this one, then I put the clone tool on that little area right behind the door pillar and right below the window line(dark area). I then filled in the cage with just that little area. Once I was done I selected a slightly lighter color than what the cage was and brushed some of the tubes that would have a little bit of light hitting them. I'm pretty sure that's about it. Pretty easy thing to do, although if your working with a picture that has more light in it it could be a little harder to get it to look right, know what I mean...

12-07-2003, 12:17 PM
ya but where did u get the cage from? or did u airbrush it

12-07-2003, 12:54 PM
I got the cage from inside my big head :blink: . Seriously though, I did airbrush it....like I said above first use the polygon tool and 'build' the cage. It takes a little imagination to picture how all the tubes would look in the car but just look around the net for pictures of real cages and you'll get the idea. A real roll cage has everything to do with triangles, triangles are what make a cage strong.

i dont know
01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
it looks like that car was totally airbrushed even the wheels. it looks awsome

01-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks man, yes it was totally airbrushed(even the wheels). That was back when all my junk was working correctly, now I'm just waitin to see what comes next to get my junk workin again...

03-21-2004, 05:05 PM
jomama were u get them rims

03-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Wow and old thread revived, I love lookin back on the past :lol:.

Got those rims from inside my big head too, I used the original outer rim flange(if that's what you'd call it) for a sort of template and then just brushed in the spokes. Totally airbrushed everything on that BMW.