PDA

View Full Version : 59 chevy stepside "the freaky tiki"

darkstar89103
02-12-2008, 09:19 PM
figured id try a surf-mobile
original:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2615/1959chevroletapache3200bu3.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1959chevroletapache3200bu3.jpg)
chop:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/686/feakytikirl6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Moncef
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Not bad!

Some rust on the bumper still ;)

Good work on the rebrush though.

Moncef

lowkey
02-13-2008, 07:04 AM
superb man,very nice brushing and coloring.and the striping is tight man

Carenilsen
02-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I love your brushing, but when you first remove the rust on the car i think you should remove the rust on the bumper too. And one more thing. the skull on the dashboard dosn't look too realistic.
other then that it looks awesome, from a scale of 1 - 10 i would give you 8,5
Edit: im pretty sure we know what a rat rod is, its just that most of the car looks so clean, and then we have the rusty bumpers, it doesnt look like much of a rat rod to me, just a hot rod owner who hasnt kept there bumpers in order
Yeah what he ment.

darkstar89103
02-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I love your brushing, but when you first remove the rust on the car i think you should remove the rust on the bumper too. And one more thing. the skull on the dashboard dosn't look too realistic.
other then that it looks awesome, from a scale of 1 - 10 i would give you 8,5

the skull is actually a shifter handle, patterned after the chuck barris / ed roth style. as for the rust, type rustrod or rat rod into google and search images. that will explain why i didnt get rid of the rust.

dipper94
02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
im pretty sure we know what a rat rod is, its just that most of the car looks so clean, and then we have the rusty bumpers, it doesnt look like much of a rat rod to me, just a hot rod owner who hasnt kept there bumpers in order

Carty
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
rat rods dont have $10,000 paintjobs, they are all rust, not just a bumper

suzq044
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
[deleted by author- i appologise]

WildmanProductions
02-14-2008, 11:11 PM
WRONG!!!

This kind of stuff really bothers me so I'll try and explain it as best I can.

There is no example of a rat rod in this thread. So far its only been Trad and Patina and not rat.

Darkstar's first chop is an example of a Trad rod (minus the rusty bumper) traditional old school styling with flat paint but completed and well done.

Suz's chop is an example of patina in which the basic idea is the "found as is" look rusty bumpers faded paint but still in one piece and mostly originial/ put together

A rat rod is an insult to anyone who actually builds/owns trad or patinas, it's basically the most clapped up piece of junk out there that uses parts from 10 different cars, rucks, tractors etc. to put together one rusty POS.

darkstar89103
02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
[issue removed - i appoligise.]

greenW/Oenvy
02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
A rat rod is an insult to anyone who actually builds/owns trad or patinas, it's basically the most clapped up piece of junk out there that uses parts from 10 different cars, rucks, tractors etc. to put together one rusty POS.

I love classic cars in all forms. Rats/Patinas/traditional probably being my favorites....in that order normally. I go to many shows each year, take thousands of pics and I'll tell you it's the rats that are getting all the attention. Don't get me wrong I love "perfect" show cars, they get all the points and win best of show, but to a point they're all the same. I mean how many times do you see a row of the same cars, just different colors/interior. There might be 1 out of 20 that really stands out....it gets a bit boring.

From what I've seen the people that find rats to be an insult are the ones that have spent $50,000+ on paint/chrome only to have people pass their car to look at the rat parked next to it.

By the way, very nice chop dark. I'm not all about just the bumper being rusty as others have said but other than that I really like what you did with it. If you don't mind I might take the original and play around with it myself.

darkstar89103
02-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I love classic cars in all forms. Rats/Patinas/traditional probably being my favorites....in that order normally. I go to many shows each year, take thousands of pics and I'll tell you it's the rats that are getting all the attention. Don't get me wrong I love "perfect" show cars, they get all the points and win best of show, but to a point they're all the same. I mean how many times do you see a row of the same cars, just different colors/interior. There might be 1 out of 20 that really stands out....it gets a bit boring.

From what I've seen the people that find rats to be an insult are the ones that have spent $50,000+ on paint/chrome only to have people pass their car to look at the rat parked next to it.

By the way, very nice chop dark. I'm not all about just the bumper being rusty as others have said but other than that I really like what you did with it. If you don't mind I might take the original and play around with it myself.

go for it!

WildmanProductions
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Oh I am by no means ragging on rat rods, I have dreams of picking up a rusty VW chopping th top and laying body. Its just that the hot rod trad rod guys will probably punch you in the head if you called their car a rat rod since it is a totally different car/culture.

greenW/Oenvy
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh I am by no means ragging on rat rods, I have dreams of picking up a rusty VW chopping th top and laying body. Its just that the hot rod trad rod guys will probably punch you in the head if you called their car a rat rod since it is a totally different car/culture.

Agreed, probably don't want to piss off the wrong person by calling their car a rat.

PSDavinci
02-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Good thread people.
I see this sort of response many times and although it can appear to be a bit over the top, people are only really trying to present information that they feel is important and relevant. In most cases its only done so with the best intentions, although sometimes our methods of relaying said information/correction may not be the most appropriate. Its important to bear in mind that even though we are all adament car fanatics, we can still learn from one another, especially considering the enormous variety of types and genre's that now proliferate that which comprises this realm we are so immersed in.
Its imperative we realize too that there are very few here who know everything there is to know. Only me and one or two others.
-Jus kiddin :D

BTW, I think darkstars chop here is very cool. Really nice brushwork and superb effort on graphics, lettering and logo.