PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Dents?

RebelRaven
05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
In need of some help guys. Has anyone got a good way of creating realistic dents?... I find the tutorial that's listed in the Tut section doesn't appeal to me (sorry to the creator)...

LS design
05-23-2009, 08:54 AM
I know something, only thing you need is a car with much refs.

First select a shape inthe body with freehand lasso tool, than go to filter>liquify (shift+ctrl+x), than choose forward warp tool (W) and than you can create a dent.

Or you just do it like the excisting tut. but than you lower the opacity of the layer.

Hope i helped you:).

S_I_N_i_C
05-23-2009, 03:36 PM
the liquify tool is mad underrated,
we use it here at my job to fixed warped bridges etc.
lower the settings to the mid 20's and you can really smooth stuff out.

PSDavinci
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree that the tute on dents leaves a lot to be desired but you have to understand that most tutes are not going to provide exactly what you need for your particular application. They are mainly designed to provide basic or generalized information. Its up to the artist to add their own creativity and skills to the mix to make the most of it.

I took a few minutes to try my hand at this, incorporating some of the method described in the tute for small dents and using the paint brush, smudge and blur tools for the rest. Also used the liquify tool ever so slightly to warp the lower door. Tried to show a few different examples ranging from minor door dings to major body damage. My advice is to google search for images similar to what you are wanting and if your lucky you might simply be able to c & p what you need. Otherwise use them as examples and attempt to reproduce.

Original:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4300/silvergtr.jpg

Chop:
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1630/silvergtrdentedo.jpg

dipper94
05-26-2009, 02:32 AM
:O DAVINCI HOW DARE YOU DISGRACE THAT GTR :'(
rofl but it looks fairly realistic imo *hi5*

RebelRaven
05-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks for that Davinci... Those dents look very good. I guess I'll just have to fiddle around a bit and practice to see what looks best :D