PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee OFF-ROAD EDITION!

TBCreative
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
I love the new Grand, but this is how I'd gear it up for 'wheelin. If I have the money, this may be the replacement for my WJ.

My '02 Limited WJ:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/TBCreative/Jeep/DSC_2880.jpg

2011 Grand Cherokee before Chop:
http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/auto-news/2011-grand-cherokee-debuts-at-new-york-auto-show/18230439+cr1+re0+ar1/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-front-right-stagejpg.jpg
2011 Grand Cherokee after Chop:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/TBCreative/Jeep/2011WDGrandCherokeeLifted.jpg?t=1242812065

Gualaka
06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Glad u started ur own thread! We don't like thread terrorists hijacking stuff ;).
Anyway, It's looking good so far. But the rear wheel looks off angle. Also, I would lose the chrome and go for a more rugged off-road look, like Suzq did with the green monster. Oh yes! she rocked it!

The artistic BG is good but not much done to the Jeep itself. :cool:

BTW, welcome to PSC...

S_I_N_i_C
06-03-2009, 10:19 AM
looks good, id drive it.
try putting it on a trail or something, interesting backgrounds really finish a chop imo.
maybe an arb steel bumper?
cool chop

TBCreative
06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks, man! Yeah, I'm going to fix the rear tire. As far as the chrome and not altering much, this is set up the way I would want it if I owned it. That's why I threw up my Jeep as well, as a comparrison. This chop represents a real-world version of how I'd set up the potential replacement to my WJ. The chrome pieces would actually stand up to scraping obstacles better anyway.

More to come, soon, including my H3 I made from pics of the H3T Concept, before the actual H3 came out. Brenda Priddy bought it from me and had it featured in some magazines, including Truckin', who had a full page devoted to it. I'll dig it up, scan it and post it soon.

TBCreative
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
looks good, id drive it.
try putting it on a trail or something, interesting backgrounds really finish a chop imo.
maybe an arb steel bumper?
cool chop

Thanks! Yeah, I plan on doing some other background versions as time permits. I was actually going to do a version with a steel bumper, not ARB, as I think they're perfect for the ZJ or WK, but too square for the WJ and this new Grand, but Berserk makes a great one for the WJ that would look perfect:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/snowskaterx8/iceland%20bumper/DSCN8266.jpg

TBCreative
06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
...Anyway, It's looking good so far. But the rear wheel looks off angle.

Okay, so here's my rear wheel/tire angle updated file:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/TBCreative/Jeep/2011WDGrandCherokeeLifted-1.jpg?t=1244058762

suzq044
06-04-2009, 05:35 AM
nice; but you'll need to blend the shadows a bit better there.. lol - they're kinda stickin out too much ..

You realize the new Cherokee rides on a computer-controlled-air-suspension system, right? A lift might not be so cheap as it is with WJ and earlier Jeeps with mechanical.. everything.

TBCreative
06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
nice; but you'll need to blend the shadows a bit better there.. lol - they're kinda stickin out too much ..

You realize the new Cherokee rides on a computer-controlled-air-suspension system, right? A lift might not be so cheap as it is with WJ and earlier Jeeps with mechanical.. everything.

Thanks!

As I say this, please don't take this as a defensive tone, but just as facts to back up my reasons for the outcome you see. I never get upset by criticism, unless it's baseless and coming from inexperienced people. I can tell you know your stuff, so the following is just an explanation. I've been doing computer graphics from comic books to TV for over 20 years, so I understand how shadows work, and even hate when I see obvious PhotoShop work in ads or promotional photos. I got tired of the same old same old, so this is a stylized background I was playing with, to pop the Jeep and not make it on a realistic background. If I wanted to do that, I'd put it on a real background. I wanted to accentuate the tires and lift too.

Yes, I've studied everything about the new WL or WD (whatever designation they're giving it) and know that the air suspension is AN OPTION on the Limited and standard on the Overland. I don't think it's even an option on the Laredo, if I remember right. So, that leaves either a Laredo or a Limited without the optional air suspension. There will be after-market options from Superlift, Kevin's Off-Road, Iron Rock Off-Road, etc. for the IS, which will be expensive, but not as expensive as an overhaul of the air setup. The other option may be, and I don't know how this will play out without seeing one in person or having a mechanic offer advice, but the air suspension articulates out to a full 4.5" over regular height, which is a decent lift. According to what I've read, you can keep it lifted without returning it to the lowered height, so it may be possible to put 32" or 33" tires on, depending on how big the wheel openings are. This has been a real concern for me, since I love this new Grand, but don't know if I can afford to lift it like my WJ, which was relatively inexpensive. I may have to go with a Wrangler Rubicon, which would be a real contender if they dropped the Hemi or updated 4.7L into it.

Like I said, I better start saving my pennies! ;)

suzq044
06-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Okay, lol - my mistake on the air-suspension; I keep up with Chrysler quite a bit, but you have apparently beat me to the punch on this one :D

As far as the background/tire-shadow goes; you did what you aimed to do in this case, good work :D

As far as old Jeeps go, I have an FSJ I'm currently working on (Cherokee Laredo wide-track). Generally the more technology grows, the more expensive, and less possible it will be to do anything to customize the vehicles that come out. I think the new Cherokee comes out with the "Phoenix" or "Penastar" v6 line. 2-300hp with some decent milage to-boot. I am still struggling with what I will put in my SJ (Hemi MDS or maybe a Phoenix v6, etc; it's all down to the transmission and 4x4 set-up)

TBCreative
06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Okay, lol - my mistake on the air-suspension; I keep up with Chrysler quite a bit, but you have apparently beat me to the punch on this one :D

As far as the background/tire-shadow goes; you did what you aimed to do in this case, good work :D

As far as old Jeeps go, I have an FSJ I'm currently working on (Cherokee Laredo wide-track). Generally the more technology grows, the more expensive, and less possible it will be to do anything to customize the vehicles that come out. I think the new Cherokee comes out with the "Phoenix" or "Penastar" v6 line. 2-300hp with some decent milage to-boot. I am still struggling with what I will put in my SJ (Hemi MDS or maybe a Phoenix v6, etc; it's all down to the transmission and 4x4 set-up)

Thanks for the kudos! I loved your green version of the new Grand, btw.

I'd love to see your FSJ! Aren't you on JeepsUnlimited or JeepForum?

Yeah, the 2 engine options are the new Pentastar V6 and the Hemi with the valve shut-off system. I'd love to at least see that new 280hp V6 in the JK. Here's the specs on the 6:

The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s standard engine is an all-new flexible fuel 3.6-liter V-6 engine. The 3.6-liter V-6 engine is an all-new design featuring double overhead camshafts (DOHC) and a high-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block in a 60-degree configuration. It features Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) and delivers 280 horsepower (209 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 N•m) @ 4,800 rpm. This all-new V-6 engine improves fuel economy up to 11 percent compared to the previous Grand Cherokee equipped with a V-6. It is coupled with the proven W5A580, a five-speed automatic transmission that delivers smooth shifts and optimum fuel economy. The five-speed W5A580 transmission includes adaptive electronic control or Electronic Range Select (ERS) driver-interactive manual control and an electronically modulated torque converter clutch.

Here are the links to the threads I started about the new Grand on the JeepsUnlimited and JeepForum, if you'd like to check them out:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493593
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691346

I was just talking with a couple of mechanic friends of mine yesterday, at Bill Luke Jeep, here in Phoenix, one of which owns a WK (his second one) and he was talking about how he added a 2.5" BB lift, which resulted in some technical issues due to the "dummy-proof" technology. Because the WKs have all of the off-road goodies, like roll-over sensors, he said every time he makes too sharp of a turn, like a U-turn, his sensor light goes on. He said it resets after the engine shuts off, but it's an annoyance. He mentioned a few other issues if you go with a bigger lift, things that require bypassing the computer and such...so this new Grand may present even more issues. I was excited to read the rumor about International considering buying Jeep and doing away with the IS and bringing back solid axles, offering new diesels, while re-introducing the Scout, Travelall and Carryall and renaming the Liberty it's European and should-have-never-been-re-named name, the Cherokee. Too bad it turned out to be a horrible April Fool's joke. Here's the article from JP magazine:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9da03b3127ccec6b97e89cb0d00000040O01AbNWTdozasQ e3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Too bad that didn't happen...

alfsaez
04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
do you think somebody can do the same tire and lifting,thats donde to the jeep 2011, to a 4runner 2010 too see how it looks like thanks

zoomypup
04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
1. Dont dig up old threads
2. This isn't the place to post that. Try the requests section and delete this post.