PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace

PSDavinci
07-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Heres something I completed recently and thought I would throw up for you all to check out.
Weve all heard of stories where someone buys an old house and finds a classic buried under years of dust in the barn, or some old lady advertising her deceased husbands old car for sale cheap and it turns out to be some vintage sports car. Well thats what my motivation was when starting this. I was just envisioning all the treasures that are bound to be out there somewhere just waiting to be found and resurrected to former glory. But the further I got into this, the imagery began working on me and I eventually wondered if in fact that some of this thinking may be wrong. What if some of these old relics arent meant to be restored. Well, that was an intriguing thought and I decided to go with it. Im not sure what the story is behind this but theres more to it than what immediately hits the eye.
This was a fun one and I think the end result is interesting. It sure would be something wild to stumble upon. Just maybe not after dark!

Hi Res version (http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4215/restinpeacelg.jpg)

Rest in Peace

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5592/restinpeacesm.jpg

VanillaSoldier
07-28-2009, 01:52 AM
looks good, just one problem tho. How did the pine needles get on the car when there are no trees around?

cedjr007
07-28-2009, 02:30 AM
im at a loss of words this is past amazing .... and this chop exemplify why u have the right to be a mentor too many on this site. Jaw dropping work

nasTone
07-28-2009, 07:52 AM
PSD - AWESOME. I can't think of a better word to describe this. I am a classic car guy and this is what we all dream of. The funny part is, things like this really happen. I know of plenty of stories that I have heard from my friends on how they got their cars. In fact there is a rumor about a Daytona Charger sitting in a field about an hour and a half away from me.

The skeletons hand on the steering wheel is a nice subtle touch.

Great composition. Great skills. Great work - plain and simple!

PSDavinci
07-28-2009, 08:04 AM
^Thanks alot guys.

..How did the pine needles get on the car when there are no trees around?

No pine needles in Kansas bro. Just mold, fungus, maybe some moss and a bunch of rotting hay.

kenmo
07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Exceptional work & art... I'm in awe.....!!!!!

Mike Minnillo
08-08-2009, 03:46 AM
as always, your work never ceases to amaze. awesome job, davinci!

LPChopperz
08-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Very nicely done mate! I love the it... It gives me the feeling to cry...

PSDavinci
08-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys, I appreciate it.

Rafix
08-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Like it :)

LPChopperz
08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Cheers bro..:)

S_I_N_i_C
08-14-2009, 08:29 AM
:becky:
nicely done psd.
the tires seem to have a lot of air in them for an undiscovered homicide from 50 years ago!
the paint effects you have pulled off are sweet near the trunk, wouldn't there be more rust?
did you find an actual plate from Kansas from that time?
the background is rad. definitely completes the scene, but what happened?
was it an enraged lover shooting her cheating boy friend?
was it a greaser who stole it from the Chevy dealership and was shot by the salesmen as he pulled away, only to roll into an abandoned corn field and die with it mint and running?
:clap2:

PSDavinci
08-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Haha, interesting ideas there SINiC.
After I finished it I too was led to wondering about the circumstances that might explain the situation here. In the real world I guess its unlikely that the owner of the property would have overlooked it since 1963 even considering the vast expanse of fields like this that exist in Kansas.
So whatever the reason I was inclined to rule out murder or foul play, simply because I figured that sooner or later someone would see the thing from the air and report it and then once discovered it would be investigated and eventually removed.
So with that in mind I would presume its more a matter of fulfilling someones dying wish. Maybe the guy had a terminal illness, or was perhaps killed in Vietnam. The split window coupe Stingray being this guys pride and joy, and a pretty cool vessel to make the final journey in. Then again a little mystery and intrigue might make things more interesting.
How about this scenario:
Weve all heard the story of the traveling salesman whose car breaks down on the road in the middle of the night. He walks to a farmhouse nearby and is graciously given a hot meal and a place to stay for the night but is given a strict warning to stay away from the farmers young daughter. Well...we all know the rest of that story.
Is it possible that such a story is not just another urban tale ?
Anyhow, As far as the plate, I created it to match the environment.
I thought the BG resembled Kansas.
On the tire issue, I agree they would most definitely be flat but you just cant see the bottoms here. Or at least thats my story, and im sticking to it ! :D

RebelRaven
08-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Surely it should be entitled 'Rust in Peace' :D

Great work Davinci, I envy your insane skills. The idea(s) behind it can make you think so much about the scene... That's what all good art should do.

kennykro
08-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I have my own theory. It goes like this: It's all that's left of Alice, she actually died, and wonderland is the corvette.

fopokev
08-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Very nice work! IMO i think the picture would have more of an impact without the skeleton hand on the steering wheel. I think it would make you think more of what has really happened to the car. To me, it throws your story off by seeing the hand in there. Very creative idea and very nicely done

white_lancer
08-24-2009, 09:51 PM
sweeeeeetttt... well in a morbid kind of way :P lol