PDA

View Full Version : mk1 Golf

Enforcer
02-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Didn't bother brushing this one but thought I might as well finish a wip for a change, could have done more but I'm just too lazy :D

Orig:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/toonser/Volkswagen-Golf_I_1974_1600x1200-1.jpg

Chop:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/toonser/MK1Golf.jpg

All C & C welcome :eek:

mglavina
02-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Loving the background swap... really nice with the windows and reflections on the windows. Headlights look cool and really work with this chop.

Only thing that kinds bugged me was the front wheel. Sticks out just a bit too much, even if it was on bags. Might just be the perspective, might just be me.

Nice chop.

Enforcer
02-12-2010, 02:54 PM
The wheel does look like it's sticking out too much now you mention it.

I'm spending more time looking for a good bg than actually chopping the car these days, can't seem to do a chop these days without a bg swap :D

PSDavinci
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
This is pretty sweet Enforcer.
I think mg is spot on regarding the wheel.

To me the biggest problem you have here is that the car looks like its floating. I can see you have added some additional shadowing but its not enough. A car this low will have some real dark ground shadow under it. You need to add a pretty dark area that extends from the rear tire to the front tire but dont make it too wide. Maybe start it at the inside edge of the rear tire. Put a slight feather on it. Then on the tires, notice how in the original pic the tires have a small shadow on the left side of the tire too. Even though this is on the light source side, the arc of the tire creates a slight ground shadow. You need to follow suit and this little item really helps to defeat the floating effect. Also those hard edges at the bottom of the tires need a slight blur as well.
I know this might appear to be nit picky to most but its a common problem and one that is really essential in nailing down the realism. I typically use anywhere from 3 to 6 or more layers on ground shadowing.

The rest of the chop looks great.
I really like the color of the car, the smoothing, headlight swap, new glass. Really good work on all. The dumpster is a bit too clean, I would have preferred one with some rust and maybe some graffitti on it to tie it into the BG better as well a few bits of trash strewn about. I know its easy to get tired of a chop, especially after investing several hours, but dont give a good one up prematurily. If you have to, set it aside for awhile. I cant stress more that sometimes the difference between a mediocre chop and a masterpiece is just a few minutes of detail and fine tuning adjustments. :D

Enforcer
02-12-2010, 03:34 PM
****, that took ages to read.

It's one of the things I'm working on, I must admit that I tend to avoid adding shadow cos I always mess it up but I've taken your advice on board and hopefully my next chop looks more realistic, cheers buddy.

baggedminiz
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Loving the background swap... really nice with the windows and reflections on the windows. Headlights look cool and really work with this chop.

Only thing that kinds bugged me was the front wheel. Sticks out just a bit too much, even if it was on bags. Might just be the perspective, might just be me.

Nice chop.

it not bagged, its German. LOL.... that's the VW style.

chop looks good. Really diggin the front end!

Lucaz
02-14-2010, 11:23 PM
X2 on what PSDavinci said.

Good job and you might want too add some graffitti and trash around the recycle bin.
would add some realism. ;)

mglavina
02-15-2010, 12:12 AM
it not bagged, its German. LOL.... that's the VW style.

chop looks good. Really diggin the front end!
If it ain't RUBBIN', it ain't DUBBIN'. hahaha, I'd post the pic but it's a bit inapropriate:D