PDA

View Full Version : Saving Photoshopped Images...

HKS
07-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi,

First off of I have fairly basic photoshop skills, but I try my best, and Im not gonna give up! :)
Anyway...

My problem is, that when I start off with an image, say 1100x800, the quality is pretty damn good. After im happy with each little mod I make, I merge my layers into the single background layer, and generally save the image as a copy, in the highest resolution. I do this so if I'm not happy, I can go back to say the image with different wheels and bumper, rather than starting again etc.

My problem is that after merging the layers, and saving copies, the pics loose their quality, and become pixelated in certain areas?...

Is this because I always merge my layers? or because I save copies? or for some other reason?...
Any help, or pointers on what to do, to keep the quality as good as the original would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks for your time,

Jonno :D
(HKS)

joemomma95
07-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Some people will tell you not to merge layers, only for work purposes...if you need to fix something later working with layers is easier in some cases.

Me personally, I usually wind up merging layers just because I hate lookin throguh all the layers to do something, my style of choppin lets me do whatever I want on whatever layer I want, therefore I can merge layers with not to many problems. I'm pretty sure merging layers shouldn't affect your quality.

Now, when I save my pics I just go to FILE>SAVE AS> then I'll save it as a PSD file if I'm not doen working...if I want to post it or show someone what I'm doin, then I'll save it as a PSD first then save it as a JPEG set at the highest quality(12 I think).

Never had any quality problems doin it like this..sounds like some settings are set wrong or something. Maybe someone with a little more PS knowledge can help you get it straightened out but I thought I'd let you know my method in case it would help...good luck...

HKS
07-18-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks!.. :D
I appreciate your reply!..

Yeh, I just seem to like to merge the layers, because, being fairly new to PS, sorting through many layers to mod a certain part gets confusing sometimes!...

I'll have a go at saving my files as PSD's next time, because I've only ever done them as JPEG's before!..
Hopefully that will work!

Thanks again for your reply! :)

Sha$XL
07-18-2004, 01:42 AM
yea its good to merge layers as a newb, but as you get better and do more advandce stuff, u'll realize that its about 100000X easier to have many layers becuase if you need to get rid of something or put something behind another, boom you just move the layer or delete it, not lke you have to select it move it, find something to fill in the big hole you made, make it match good, ect. it can get confusing when you have almost 200+ layers, but its worth it

joemomma95
07-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Sha$XL@Jul 18 2004, 12:42 AM
yea its good to merge layers as a newb, but as you get better and do more advandce stuff, u'll realize that its about 100000X easier to have many layers becuase if you need to get rid of something or put something behind another, boom you just move the layer or delete it, not lke you have to select it move it, find something to fill in the big hole you made, make it match good, ect. it can get confusing when you have almost 200+ layers, but its worth it
You callin me a newb :angry: ? j/k, I think it's a personal preference thing...

Oh yeah HKS, don't save the file as a PSD if you wanna upload it, not sure there's any place that will allow a PSD file to upload. It's usually best to upload a JPEG, the quality stays kind of the same but the file is alot smaller and easier to upload.

BUT, in your case, try saving it as a PSD just to try to figure out what's goin on with your quality of pics...let us know what happens.