View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
wonderboy
PSC MEMBER

wonderboy is on a distinguished road

I agree it would be the proper thing to do to acknowledge the person or the chop you got the part from, but still dont see it as wrong to use a part if you realy like it. Chopping used to be just what it says, chopping parts from other cars wherever they might come from, and using many diferent parts to come up with a new concept. But understandably chopping has evolved onto a much higher level where people are'nt just chopping anymore they actualy doing some designing, which i suppose is where this issue comes from, but still just like we design some parts the other cars are made by designers to, so to say taking a part from a chopped image is stealing but taking a part from that guys design of either the car or a aftermarket kit he designed, is not stealing is a very, very clear contradiction. I know if it was made "legal" to use from a chop there would need to be some rules and guidelines, but everyone would benefit at the end as i think that some of the best parts ive seen out there was on chops. Oh and about the copyright part, all cars we use for donors are copyrighted on various levels by the manufacturers the designers work for, Which basicaly means to take any car thats got a trademark name, like Mazda and Subaru etc. and upgrade it without their concent is considered copyright fraud. Where as i strongly doubt that any chops have copyrights on them, as you dont have the permission to use the car in the 1st place you wont be able to get copyrights on your upgrade of it. So the only loophole you could use is to remove all emblems, badges or any trademark that links it to the manufacturer, and not even use the cars real name in the description, like some games do when they cant get permission to use that name. Oh and then copyrighting cost money and quite a bit coz you have 2 pay for each country you want it copyrighted in, like with a patent
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote