View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Murcie_LP640
PSC "I HAVE NO LIFE" MEMBER

Murcie_LP640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murcie_LP640

Very major resurrection for this topic, and a fair bit has happened since my last post here.

One very fateful Saturday a couple of weeks ago, I started off with two perfectly functioning cars and then come nightfall I had no perfectly functioning cars.

At about 7:15am when I was heading to work in the Skyline, the front left tyre let go and it slammed into a high kerb at about 40kph. Three tyres were ripped apart and/or flattened, two hubcaps were lost (went flying into the countryside somewhere I presume, I haven't seen them since; it's just running the steelies now), the front left wheel was bent, and the steering alignment was knocked out of place. I'll post pics soon of what the damage was. It was actually quite lucky that nothing else broke on it.

On the Wednesday after the accident I went down to the wreckers to sort out some new rubber for The Cereal Box. The factory tyres that were on there were an odd size that nobody had in stock so I had to persevere. I picked up an alloy off of a wrecked R31 to use as a spare (the old spare is now on the front left) and swapped the one wheel that didn't suffer from the back right to the front right.

Then for the back wheels I picked up two 215/65R14 tyres (the originals were 205/60R14) and I also got a 195/65R14 to chuck on the new spare wheel.

After this was all fitted, a test drive was necessary. Nothing else was wrong (in fact, the backlight for the clock was fixed by the accident) however it does need a wheel alignment. It pulls to the left a bit, but it's easily manageable for now.

What's next on the cards now that it's back on the road? A new set of mags. I'm going to be getting some 17" wheels to give it both a new look and a completely fresh set of tyres so that it's safe and has a bit more grip. Going to cost me about AU$1200 for wheels and tyres to fit them.

I apologise for the wall-of-text, but that, essentially, is the story so far. And ignore my previous posts about selling it for a different car. The Skyline's too damn good to be selling.

Part-time chopper, full-time car lover.
Murcie_LP640 is offline   Reply With Quote