Thread: Smoking Kills
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
mat_splat
PSC MEMBER

mat_splat is on a distinguished road

Yeah I know what your saying guys. As an ex smoker I remember very well seeing the adverts and thinking "so what" Even the pictures on the packets became more amusing than shocking, with such classics as the "limp" cigarette.

I was trying to go down the "reminder" route as opposed the ShockHorror route. As a marketing and business development consultant I have worked on some pretty big advertising campaings including TV campaigns such as the current UK Welch's Purple Grape Juice advert. (The one with the men in orange and purple suits climbing in the glass)

The problem with shock advertising is it only shocks you once. I think it is pretty fair to say that with the last few years worth of images most smokers are now already aware of the worst case scenario.

My efforts in this project were more concentrated on encouraging smokers to bring those, so often quoted, figues and images back home to roost. More along the lines of "you know your being stupid, so stop it!" Hence the juxtaposition of the relaxing cafe scene stalked by death and the purity of a pregnant mother haunted by the impending consequence of her reckless actions.

I could understand any reluctance to use the obvious sucicidal reference in the gun image and appricate that it may not be appropriate for a 40ft Billboard on the School Bus Route, I was just toying with concepts/artwork.

But mostly.... I just wanted to make some pretty pictures

You learn very quickly in my industry that the idea is alot less important than the bs used to sell it to people

Anyway thanks for your comments, It's always handy to have a free focus group I can call on.

Last edited by mat_splat; 01-27-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: P.S. The Phone Numbers Have Not Been Issued Yet, But Will Be Included
mat_splat is offline   Reply With Quote