Navigation:   Home  >>  Forums

Go Back   Photoshopchop.com > HOW TO'S > PHOTOSHOP QUESTIONS

Notices

PHOTOSHOP QUESTIONS Been trying to figure out how to do something for a long time and just can't get it? Chances are someone here can help you.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #1
phatboy
PSC MEMBER

phatboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot see how these great artist of the mouse do what they do digitally. For me to make a picture of even 1/4 the quality that these guys produce it would take me months. Please dont take this post smartly and give stupid answers like pracitce...or there just good...that isnt what im looking for...I want to know what they are doing within photoshop to get these results, and im sure im not the only one...so please you guys out there that do those chops of realistic proportions let a newb in on a secret or two(airbrushing hint hint). thanks.

ps I put this thread here because I think that it will get a better response than the classroom area...thanks

<span style='color:red'>This is a signature virus. Copy me into your signature and help me spread.</span>
phatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:34 AM   #2
Itanium
PSC NOOB

Itanium is an unknown quantity at this point

It&#39;ll just get moved anyway
Old 10-03-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
humppapappa
PSC PRO MEMBER

humppapappa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to humppapappa

Quote:
Originally posted by phatboy@Oct 3 2004, 06:28 AM
I cannot see how these great artist of the mouse do what they do digitally. For me to make a picture of even 1/4 the quality that these guys produce it would take me months. Please dont take this post smartly and give stupid answers like pracitce...or there just good...that isnt what im looking for...I want to know what they are doing within photoshop to get these results, and im sure im not the only one...so please you guys out there that do those chops of realistic proportions let a newb in on a secret or two(airbrushing hint hint). thanks.

ps I put this thread here because I think that it will get a better response than the classroom area...thanks
First you should take a good look to real bodykit and look for how light blends from surface, then just try to copy the shadows and highlights from them. That&#39;s about it. And Practice makes you perfect. Also take your time and don&#39;t rush, or your chops look like poo-poo.

Finnish photoshop site
humppapappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:59 AM   #4
phatboy
PSC MEMBER

what kind of a mouse are they using or is it just that they can make perfect lines and such...cause i cant draw a straight line with my mouse...its a normal 2 button wheel wired optical mouse...will that make a difference at all. i also have a pen mouse but i havnt learned how to use it yet. thanks

<span style='color:red'>This is a signature virus. Copy me into your signature and help me spread.</span>
Old 10-03-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Stanty15
PSC "I HAVE NO LIFE" MEMBER

Stanty15 is an unknown quantity at this point

i also really want to knnow how they do it. especially the paint shine on iacs impreza
Old 10-03-2004, 08:55 AM   #6
humppapappa
PSC PRO MEMBER

humppapappa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to humppapappa

Quote:
Originally posted by phatboy@Oct 3 2004, 06:59 AM
what kind of a mouse are they using or is it just that they can make perfect lines and such...cause i cant draw a straight line with my mouse...its a normal 2 button wheel wired optical mouse...will that make a difference at all. i also have a pen mouse but i havnt learned how to use it yet. thanks
Well the pen mouse is the ultimate tool for chopping, if you handle that you are able to do anything. But it&#39;s just practicing and practicing. There&#39;s no other way.

Finnish photoshop site
humppapappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:13 AM   #7
hav_lova
3000 AND CLIMBING

hav_lova is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Forum Lurker 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via MSN to hav_lova

Well the have taken the time to practice (duh) and they have experimented and found out what works and what doesnt... you dont need anything great to draw straight or perfect (you can mark everything with the rulers) they know to draw the perspective of the cars they have probably done a course or two on photoshop and know how it works back to front (e.g. i know omicron can tell you what every layer effect does basicly) now stop asking about this the only way you can get that good its to try and try again and try again and improve your technique&#33;

and the key ingredient? PRACTICE&#33;

"You'll never be late in a 308, but you'll have more fun in a 351"
Lindsay Lohan is so hot! V8 king is dreaming... And she gives fattie "WoOdS" Go figure.....
Quote:
I like to fart in the bathtub and turn around and bite the bubbles...
hav_lova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
chopstick
Banned

chopstick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to chopstick

if you have problems with drawing straith lines you just change your normal lasso to polygoon lasso or something and then you just have 2 click were you want your selection to start... go click click click and end it at the same spot&#33;
chopstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:47 AM   #9
phatboy
PSC MEMBER

i guess i should rephrase myslef and ask what are some of thier techniques and are there any tutorials for some of the things they do...i realize that practice is the key and i do practice quite often...but the problem im having is i dont even know where to start some things. such as, on iacoskis lates impreze how did he do the c/f headlights. not the look of the c/f but how did he model the acctuall bezel for the lights, or when he starts brushing a body kit. does he draw it out first with lines and then fill in the lines, or does he just start with the airbrush on a ?size brush and play till it looks right...

Old 10-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #10
brasher

brasher is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to brasher

I can tell you a bit of a secret, it helps if u are able to draw in perspective. If you have the basic concept of how angles and point of view perception works then it makes it much easier. Take a printout of the car you want to chop ( in black and white) and then with a penicil make a rough sketch of what the kit would look like, then this may sound wierd, but it helps to tilt your head sideways and take a look at it from a different view point.

Try these techniques out sometime and see if they work for you.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
phatboy
PSC MEMBER

thats what im talking about tricks like that...thanks i never thought of that. and the perspective thing is not a problem, i just dont know how to start doing some things

Old 10-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
Carty

Quote:
Originally posted by brasher@Oct 3 2004, 09:53 AM
I can tell you a bit of a secret, it helps if u are able to draw in perspective. If you have the basic concept of how angles and point of view perception works then it makes it much easier. Take a printout of the car you want to chop ( in black and white) and then with a penicil make a rough sketch of what the kit would look like, then this may sound wierd, but it helps to tilt your head sideways and take a look at it from a different view point.

Try these techniques out sometime and see if they work for you.
haha why not just tilt the paper instead of your head but anyways, these guys are god, yea you can practice all you want to, but they have alot of their talent naturally
Old 10-03-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
phatboy
PSC MEMBER

well i am an artist also, airbrush(real ones), colored pensils, whatever...i just dont know the processes in which they start a project like the afore mentioned ones...

Old 10-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #14
giRogosian
PSC NOOB

giRogosian is an unknown quantity at this point

when ever i see their cars i cant believe thats possible, you cant even make a real car look that good. they should all do tutorials to help us lil jackass out that would be cool.
giRogosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #15
joemomma95
Me love you long time

joemomma95 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Net Nazi 

Send a message via AIM to joemomma95

Well, you&#39;ve all been waiting for this post I know.....MOVED&#33;&#33; :P

As far as the techniques, it helps alot to study real pics for me(don&#39;t worry I&#39;m not saying I&#39;m as good as those other guys), looking at real pics with reflections/shadows/shading helps out alot...also helps to have a little art background, I took art all through highschool(and used to love drawing, until PS came into my life ) and that&#39;s it, not much but I really think it helps me out alot in chopping. And of course the other guys already mentioned....PRACTICE.

Another thing that might help you that has came up lately(that I personally have never done).....if you wanna learn how to brush and how to make thing look real, find a part you wanna brush and lower the opacity on it, start a new layer and "brush over" the part trying to get it to look like the real part...

[/CENTER]

Carty was here
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:21 PM   #16
The Fighting Panda Man
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

The Fighting Panda Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to The Fighting Panda Man Send a message via MSN to The Fighting Panda Man Send a message via Yahoo to The Fighting Panda Man

yeah, being in a art class or two should help you as far as perspective goes. it really helps as far as realism goes, i mean i&#39;m starting to create my own cars on paper, it just helps to get the flow of the body lines on the car right.

if that doesn&#39;t work, then you can always head down to barnes and noble or borders and pick up a how to book or something...

<u>WIPS</u>
Infiniti for HI battle _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
High School <span style='color:red'>_ _ _ _ _ _ _</span> _

<span style='color:green'>If you agree with my sentiment, copy this into your sig
Procrastination is not the problem, but the solution. Motivation is evil, I mean, look at who is motivated. Child molesters, terrorists, muggers and thieves, ALL VERY HIGHLY MOTIVATED! If you are motivated, you're running with the wrong crowd.

HOORAY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS! I've been offered $100,000+ from 3 schools, collectively.</span>
The Fighting Panda Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #17
hawk_196
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

hawk_196 is an unknown quantity at this point

hrm i really dont have that many questions as to the process but to how they use the tools.... if ya know what I mean.
like, everytime I brush it end up being blurry and flat. I&#39;ve heard that you should use the lasso to make sharp looking brushings but whenever I do, I get a real pixelated edge. So how do they get rid of that? Do they just brush everything on a different layer and use the eraser (no selection, just the eraser) to erase it or what? Also, all of my brushing turns out flat somehow (no differencec in color). Any way to add depth/noise into your brushings or is there some trick I dont know about. Or is it just the old fashioned pick a color, brush, pick a color, brush.

Thanks.

This is a signature virus. Copy me into your signature and help me spread.
hawk_196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #18
joemomma95
Me love you long time

joemomma95 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Net Nazi 

Send a message via AIM to joemomma95

Work with selections, selections can make or break a brushed chop IMO. Also play with the feathering(in the selections menu), feathering can make the edges of your selections look smooth and not so sharp around the edges.

And yes, brushing something on one layer and then using the eraser tool to get rid of what you don&#39;t need or whatever can be very useful.

I personally use the smudge tool alot in blending 2 or 3 colors into a good fade job. You have to use a big brush, soft edged, etc..

All in all, I hardly ever use any brushed that aren&#39;t soft edged. I use the default brush on the second row down, the size on it varies and so does the opacity. Mess around with those things too and you&#39;ll start getting a feel for how to use them to brush. Sometimes I use a brush the size of New York, not saying I use that size to create something but every now and then I use the edge of a huge brush to get a very slight fade on the edge of a selection..

[/CENTER]

Carty was here
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:51 PM   #19
Sha$XL
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

Sha$XL is an unknown quantity at this point

well dont forget guys IAC has a year or two more choppin experience than most. i remember i started in spring of 03 and iac had been doin it for almost a year already (and believe it or not he actually was human at one point, i saw an older one of his chops and, um wow, did it suck, jk it didnt suck but you&#39;d never guess it was made by the same guy)

plus not to mention im sure most of the other really good guyd on here are art students, and you wouldnt believe how much you learn in those classes. i learned a lot in my intro to PS class at school last year

Quote:
You know how many birthday's there are a year?... hundreds, literally hundreds.
Sha$XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:29 AM   #20
OmicroN
Pizza is good...

OmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Forum Diplomat 

Send a message via ICQ to OmicroN Send a message via AIM to OmicroN Send a message via MSN to OmicroN

I&#39;ve been using photoshop for years, in 03 I had at least 2 or 3 years already in. I just don&#39;t have the artistic talent to pull off the stuff that IAC does, or a lot of you others. I&#39;m sure if I was that creative, i&#39;d be great at airbrushing crap. With my experience, and a real artistic talent, the possibilities are great. B) h34r:

Makes me proud to know the people who do this sort of stuff, it&#39;s a real treat to see the work that&#39;s done.