Navigation:   Home  >>  Forums

Go Back   Photoshopchop.com > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL DISCUSSION

Notices

GENERAL DISCUSSION Anything goes here. Just spark up a thread!

Old 01-07-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Jetster1
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

Jetster1 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Forum Originality 
Total Awards: 1

Imagine what the Ultimate LA Machine would be. Then, ask automobile designers to come up with their interpretation and you’ll get a broad array of creative ideas. That’s precisely what the Los Angeles Auto Show asked Los Angeles area automobile design studios to do – and the results are fascinating, entertaining and thought provoking.

The design challenge is a competition between Los Angeles area design studios’ to showcase their imagination and creativity. Los Angeles is a world leader in automotive design with 14 manufacturer design studios, representing Asian, European and North American automakers.

A panel of judges will select the winner based on which concept best expresses the characteristics of Los Angeles. The criteria the judges will be using are: spirit, road presence and brag factor; originality; sex appeal; and function and features. The concepts will be presented in two-dimensional form and displayed at the show.

Benz:

BMW:

Honda:

Hummer:

Kia:

Lexus:

Mazda:

Mini:

Mitsubishi:

Dodge:

Volkswagen:
Jetster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
v8_king
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

v8_king is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to v8_king

the bmw is the best imo, its the best lookin and the most sane one. the vw's lounge is pretty awsum. some of these concepts seem right up ur alley jetster, odd and cooky. hehehe, just like some of ur chops.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Skyline4life
I can burn you..

Skyline4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Skyline4life Send a message via MSN to Skyline4life

and kia still would make some thing fugly <_<
Old 01-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
fattie64
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

fattie64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to fattie64

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyline4life@Jan 7 2005, 08:42 PM
and kia still would make some thing fugly <_<
yeah....not thinking that they would come out w/ a fizzucking hotrod

Quote:
it's not that bad, but did you brush anything?
what has this world come to?
fattie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Sha$XL
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

Sha$XL is an unknown quantity at this point

damn man thats awesome.

i wish i could be one of the design guys on those teams. thats like a dream job.

IMO the honda takes it

Quote:
You know how many birthday's there are a year?... hundreds, literally hundreds.
Sha$XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
ckg690
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

ckg690 can only hope to improve

I love the lexus one, it reminds me a little of the BCGT

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
Smile, Your face won't break.
ckg690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
OmicroN
Pizza is good...

OmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to beholdOmicroN is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Forum Diplomat 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to OmicroN Send a message via AIM to OmicroN Send a message via MSN to OmicroN

The lexus one is the best IMHO. It surely will win the car with the most Sex Appeal. The lines on it are great and the overall design is very nice. I&#39;d drive that all the time. B)
Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #8
nast
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

nast is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nast Send a message via MSN to nast Send a message via Yahoo to nast

that mini is teh r0x0rz h34r: . The honda is also really nice imo...

i want some
Old 01-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #9
SavB18
Banned

SavB18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SavB18

HONDA OWNED that things tight
SavB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 AM   #10
Ethereal
PSC MEMBER

Ethereal is an unknown quantity at this point

the lexus is half sedan/half coupe...wtf???? look at the aerial view... and the hot rod has missile launchers just inside the front tires along the inside of the axel, dual missiles on each side... interesting way to take care of traffic i&#39;d say :-), i like the honda the most
Old 01-08-2005, 05:08 AM   #11
Phillip
PSC PRO MEMBER

Phillip is an unknown quantity at this point

yes the lexus is half half, but dig me if they dont come up with two different versions... noone wanna drive an asymetrical car... simply ugly&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<

WOW&#33;&#33;&#33; COOL&#33; if you read real close to the lexus ad, you see that the sides of the car is one big LCD screen offering you as the driver to show whatever you want, anytime..
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>CODE </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'>Who the heck is the one that keeps removing my sig??</td></tr></table><div class='signature'>
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
nast
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

nast is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nast Send a message via MSN to nast Send a message via Yahoo to nast

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethereal@Jan 8 2005, 01:15 AM
and the hot rod has missile launchers just inside the front tires along the inside of the axel, dual missiles on each side
ever heard of headlights ? there are some on the back too, but they have red rings around them...taillights and headlights...
Old 01-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
Ethereal
PSC MEMBER

Ethereal is an unknown quantity at this point

well they look like missiles :-D and so do the things in the grill :-P ruining my fun
Old 01-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #14
ckg690
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

ckg690 can only hope to improve

That bimmer is prettty cool too.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
Smile, Your face won't break.
ckg690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:43 PM   #15
rickysals
Super Moderator

rickysals is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rickysals

Here&#39;s my impressions on them... They may be a bit different on what is good and bad than alot of yours.

The Benz display is cool. I&#39;m not sure where their graphic designers graduated though? They butchered the typography in the whole layout, especially the headline... ugh, makes me gag. The car is cool. It does seem L.A.-ish, in the gullwing doors that come from the old 300-SL... would definately be a headturner.

The BMW is sexy as hell, but I don&#39;t know that it&#39;s the head-turner that would attract attention in LA. The city is known for exceptionally beautiful things, things you can only see there... and the beemer doesn&#39;t have that quality. This car could replace the Z4 no problem and you would see one at every Starbucks in a week... not exactly a car that would stop traffic in LA. The layout is quite pleasing though

Well, the Honda would stop traffic for sure&#33; Not sure though why a machine for asphalt is one of the most elaborate off-road looking machines I can remember seeing. I just don&#39;t think it solves the problem. It reminds me of the T-Rex. Rappers bought those, maybe they&#39;d buy these too. I personally think they sold out and designed the craziest thing they could because they weren&#39;t in the mood for real designing.

You could argue some of the same things about this Hummer concept. But the negatives about being off-road in the Honda can be plusses for the Hummer, as offroad is Hummer&#39;s image, ... not Honda&#39;s. A street vehicle for Hummer would probably be a huge success. Hummer anything will fly off the lots right now. This is the LA version of their brand, and I think this works well&#33;

Kia, Kia, Kia... well, in recent concepts they&#39;ve pushed the envelope a bit, gotta give them that. This one, return to sender. The hot rod theme is cool, but overdone 3 years ago. LA wants something fresh, or something they have never seen before... or don&#39;t know they&#39;ve seen before, this just feels old. I do think the concept has interesting proportions from the side, but the 3/4 view is just blah. the cabin has a thrust forward motion look, while the hood/fenders havea brick look. Did 2 designers do 2 different parts of the car? Nice try...try again

When I first saw the Lexus, i was amazed. It was like a piece of jewelry. Innovative, sexy, big... LA likes these things. The LCD screen is a neat idea... overdone, but neat. I wonder if Maybach is calling them though wanting their side profile back? Overall I think this works well as a sedan or coupe.. not both... but again cool idea. I really like this one, it&#39;s nice.

As far as the Mazda goes, I can&#39;t say much as I can&#39;t see much. The page layout is blah, and I don&#39;t know what to look at... the concept drawings in the middle of the page? or the renderings which don&#39;t exactly capture my eye. As for the car... "ehh" who cares really? thats what i think when i see it, much like the Honda.

BMW does beautiful clean presentations don&#39;t they? The Mini carver is a sweet lil car. I could honestly see it made in smaller numbers. I think it works well&#33;

The Ultimate EVO is a cool ride. Open air roadster with bragging rights under the hood in an elaborate design. The comic book theme is really cool, as u can see yourself being left with the car a comicbook hero has driven. The aggresive stance is very cool. I think this is a good one.

I dunno what it is about the SuperBee.. I really look at it and just don&#39;t care. It doesn&#39;t do anything for me. Looks like a next generation prowler coupe. Cool, but blah

The VW mobile lounge is a lil different. I could see it being used, by soccer moms, if they didnt think it was too ugly to buy. It&#39;s innovative though, with a clear roof, suicide doors, movable roof panels... it&#39;s cool, but just looks like a newly designed MIcroBus that they scrapped a few years ago. I&#39;m not a fan of this one.

If you&#39;re really bored u can read all that haha I got a little carried away&#33; I love to talk about design, and I&#39;m still learning everyday more... so if u disagree let me know

I think I like the Hummer and the Lexus.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
eggstar
PSC SENIOR MEMBER

eggstar is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont really like anyof them :S
however, i do like the front and rear of the BMW but i hate the wheels on it

<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>visit the forums&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
chop shop forums
digital dimensions</span>
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigrick &#064; Jul 5 2004, 07:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I love the larger size</td></tr></table><div class='signature'>
eggstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #17
-GS-
PSC "I HAVE NO LIFE" MEMBER

-GS- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -GS-

wow those look pretty damn cool. Amazing designs, very nice work on them/

(btw: when someone doesnt like what they see, it doesnt justify someone notifying moderaters/admins of the post, please keep that in mind for future reference...)
Old 01-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #18
hawk_196
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

hawk_196 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Phillip@Jan 8 2005, 04:08 AM
yes the lexus is half half, but dig me if they dont come up with two different versions... noone wanna drive an asymetrical car... simply ugly&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;* <_<

WOW&#33;&#33;&#33; COOL&#33; if you read real close to the lexus ad, you see that the sides of the car is one big LCD screen offering you as the driver to show whatever you want, anytime..
yeha really, dont break the rule just for the sake of breaking it. "woo look at us&#33; we dont have a symmetrical car and its a CONCEPT"

btw, you can&#39;t make LCD&#39;s any bigger than a certain size (~20"-25" or something). Its just not possible, but engineers are working on technology to make LCD&#39;s the size of plasmas, and plasmas will soon be obesolete. LCD beats Plasma in every category you can throw at it (resolution, sharpness, image quality, color) except for size and price.

The honda one is sweet, and I think the VW is cool. The benz is just fugly if you ask me. The rear looks like they were trying to make it into an old caddy, and teh front looks like they tried to mirror the rear. ugly.

oh yeah the kia looks ugly too.

also, the profile of the BMW looks a bit like an aston martin.. one of them.
vanquish maybe, no idea....

ok last edit.

Quote:
The Benz display is cool. I&#39;m not sure where their graphic designers graduated though? They butchered the typography in the whole layout, especially the headline... ugh, makes me gag. The car is cool. It does seem L.A.-ish, in the gullwing doors that come from the old 300-SL... would definately be a headturner.
I don&#39;t think you&#39;re gonna worry if your doors turn heads when you are hovering over cars in traffic.
I love how they have to put green and red lights on either side because its a flight vehicle.

This is a signature virus. Copy me into your signature and help me spread.
hawk_196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #19
Skyline4life
I can burn you..

Skyline4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Skyline4life Send a message via MSN to Skyline4life

Dan-Stop reporting a post to mods every time someone says some thing. and i dont no if your talking about eggstar, -GS-,or hawk_196 so Dan read up to clearify

eggster-is saying that he likes the front and back of the BMW

GS-is telling you what im saying. basicly

Hawk-is stating i think the truth of LCD&#39;s

So why am i not doing this in a PM? IM sick of getting PM&#39;s or E-mails of people who cant take matters into your own hands..Use PM or some thing to that person.

So that gose for eveyr one.

the next one i get and its nothing 2 important Im just goona let it go and wont give a shatizzle or [sarcasim]i might ban you[/sarcasim] <_<
Old 01-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #20
rickysals
Super Moderator

rickysals is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rickysals

Quote:
Originally posted by hawk_196@Jan 8 2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I don&#39;t think you&#39;re gonna worry if your doors turn heads when you are hovering over cars in traffic.
I love how they have to put green and red lights on either side because its a flight vehicle.
I am in school for Visual Communication Design right now and considering going for Transportation Design when finished as a Masters, I was just talking about the whole display and hot they horribly did the typography in it.

graphic designers put together the piece u see here... the car designers did the sketches... the GD guys italicized the stencil type to the left, by simply slanting the letters...THIS IS SUCH A NO-NO IN G.D. It is butchering the art of the typographer... it looks horrible and has no artistic integrity. I was just stunned to see it by a company such as MercedesBenz.