Navigation:   Home  >>  Forums

Go Back   Photoshopchop.com > PHOTO CHOPS > GRAPHIC DESIGN SHOWOFF AND TIPS

Notices

GRAPHIC DESIGN SHOWOFF AND TIPS For design tips and tricks, and post your work, websites/flyers/anything design related.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
jasnye2212
PSC NOOB

jasnye2212 is on a distinguished road
Talking My First Post For 3 Years!!!! [here's what I'm doing now]

hey hey, i havent visited or posted on this site for about 3 years now!!

I'm now a graphic designer studying at Coventry University.
My design website is www.dubiousdesign.co.uk

here's a few examples of my vector work.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
S_I_N_i_C
PSC 1000 POSTS MEMBER

S_I_N_i_C is on a distinguished road

PRO WORK MAN!
You caught 2 of my coworkers eye's when i was looking at this,they stopped while walking by like, woah,nice!
very creative,loving the background work, have you considered t shirts?
can we see some more?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
jasnye2212
PSC NOOB

Red face

thanks!! i have but don't know much about T shirt printing n that, though I have done a bit of T shirt work for a short Uni project.

I'm just looking to get more work and clients here and there to build up my portfolio more promotion and stuff. I hope for either work for a studio or start my own after uni. T shirts could be cool, do you think I would be able to sell them?

I most enjoy doing vectors of cars and stuff and as you can tell I'm a big Volkswagen nut.
Heres a bit of work I did for a Band.

and a work-in-progress of the van
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
wonderboy
PSC MEMBER

wonderboy is on a distinguished road

Damn excelent work, realy! You should try do your own thing rather than work for someone, it takes a bit longer, bit harder work, much more responsibility ( something I know from experience creative people usualy have a lack of ) but if you like what you do and you good at it which you obviously are, you will make it, and when you do its all yours and you will get even more rewards out of your company than you could ever imagine. Im into designing too and although i design for a large retail group, I curently only stay there coz of the security and that they dont mind me having my own thing on the side. Ive opened my own very small shop just over 2 years ago but since then its grown into 3 shops of which the 2 new ones are situated in the best shopping malls here by us. Im basicaly putting all the money my shops make just so back into them and saving some to expand even more in the near future, so right now im living off my salary from my contract, but hopefuly in the next 3 years i'll feel secure enough to leave the retail group and give all my time to my own ideas and maybe, hopefully even venture into new fields of design as well. But in short dont work for someone making them rich with your ideas, make your ideas work for themselves coz if a pace employ you and can make money from your thoughts, then so can you..
Old 12-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
jasnye2212
PSC NOOB

thanks - inspirational words!!

I really do want my own studio, It would be awesome - not a plain, clinical studio that I hate seeing, it would be packed full of inspiration and exciting things.

The only thing thats really always on my mind is how do you get regular clients and keep them coming?? seems hard with the amount of design studios, consultants, and companies these days....
Old 12-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
wonderboy
PSC MEMBER

wonderboy is on a distinguished road

Personaly I'm extremely competitive but thinking I havent realy met a creative person who isnt competitive to at least a certain degree. To get customers is like being in constant competition with the best in your field, therefore you need to love to create new designs, coz maintaining a steady flow of buisness means you have to always, always stay at the very top of your game, and never slack down for any reason, and to do this comes quite easy if you realy have passion for what you do. In any design field theres always place for more as all designers design different and not all clients are looking for the same thing, therefor even if you aply by a company already using the best in the world, you have a good fighting chance to worm your way in there as you might just design in that certain way they were looking for until now.
A company will always take the person who's best capable to represent their message to the people no matter if its your 1st job or if you the best, as long as you keep a steady flow of high quality work so they can de3pend on you.
Then dont ever be intimidated by high flyer designers, they were once exactly where you are with maybe even half of your tallent, and if anyone else can do something you can do it to, and if you like the idea of being the best, you probably can do it even better. Then never give up on trying, even one day when you the best and never get discouraged if ever givven negative critisism from anyone, if someone give you sht over some design dont take it personal, in short that just means they dont have the same taste as you, another company or person might have loved that same idea. Once you get used to the design environment you'll be able to also recognise companies who's into the tipe of designs you good at and youl be able to spend your time impressing them rather than waste productive energy on companies you can see is looking for something else.
But keep it up and never think about the money to much even though its important to make a living, do it coz you love designing and like to prove your ability in a world of wolves and i guarentee you, if you love your work and keep learning every single time and always try to be the best out there, the money will start coming in and when it does it would come in bigger amounts than you ever thought it would. And 1 last thing, there isnt so much as a "regular" client out there coz even if a company love your work and therefore regularly use your services, once they find someone they love even more they wont be your regular client anymore, this is realy a everything eats everything tipe of industry where you only as good and popular as your last design, so just make sure you have the bigger teeth and always stay hungry to eat everything crossing your path.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
bennos
PSC NOOB

bennos is on a distinguished road

great stuff... i might have to go through some tuts and attempt to use illustrator that atm sits there an does nothing.

2 examples of places where if you got the work it would be continuous are 2 suppliers of ours - brutex, and casamance.

they're both fabric houses, but each time a new collection of fabrics and wall coverings come out, they get sample hangers and books, particularly with casamance books. these samples come in a folder, that has a logo and, (occasionally boring and old), funky design work all over the front.

these are the sort of places where money isn't important, but presentation is. they have in house designers etc etc but i'm sure a lot of the artwork is subcontracted out.

plus brutex also has a sister copmany that write computer programs for fabric houses all over the world, so if you got in with them, there's vector work for - artwork, programs and websites from nearly all their customers. it's an example of how you could basically leech someone elses client base.

hope this helps, or at least adds a spec of confidence that if you want to do it, there is a way and you can find it!!
ask away
bennos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
jasnye2212
PSC NOOB

sounds good to me dude!!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
rickysals
Super Moderator

rickysals is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rickysals

I'm a graphic designer (started out a long time ago on these boards) and take it from me - unless you are excellent at design and have connections, it will be near impossible to start a studio right away. It's not even terribly smart to do this.

If you really want your own place, it's best to work for a while for a design firm. Just because school will be over doesn't mean learning is over. You will learn more in your first year of working than you did in school. It's valuable time that will allow you to do cool things later.

Getting and maintaining clients is the tough part. You have to offer services that they want and need. The drawings are excellently done, great craft, but I can't see someone paying $75/hr for them. They don't solve a problem. That's what we do. We solve problems.

Good luck man. You have talent at handling the programs.

Care to show off any other graphic design work?
rickysals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
jasnye2212
PSC NOOB

Thanks for the advice! there are a couple of awesome studios that I know people in and I'm working on getting a placement at the minute for the summer.

This type of vector work is never for any briefs, it's what I do in my own time.
Here's a few examples of my concept and brief driven projects...